Monday, February 13, 2012

MoNdAyS aRe FaMiLy DaYs!

   I'm really looking forward to tomorrow being Valentines Day. Last year Mr. Cancan and I decided to start a new tradition. Since Valentines Day often falls on a week day and it can be difficult to find sitters during the week, we are going to spend actual Valentines Day with our kids. We can do something together on the weekend.
   Last year, I went to the Dollar Store and got balloons all kinds of other fun decorations. Then I went to Walmart and got heart shaped plates and little gifts for everyone. For dinner I made a family favorite, turkey tetrazzini. (That was a favorite dish of mine that my mom would make when I was a kid.) I think everyone had a good time. I know I sure did. I can't wait to go shopping tomorrow to get everything to have another family Valentines Day dinner.
   This idea came from one of my favorite childhood memories. One year my dad went out and got all of us little gifts. We had no idea! When we went to sit at the table that night for dinner, our gifts were on our plates. It wasn't the gifts that made that night, it was that my dad went out of his way to make everything special. He didn't just spend his Valentine thoughts on my mom, he took the time to show his kids he loved us. I still have one of the gifts he gave me that night. It's something I've never been able to get rid of, because it's from one of my favorite memories. I hope I can create the same wonderful feelings and memories for my children.

3 comments:

  1. What a nice memory! Where was that? How old we're we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have the same tradition. We pull out the china and have candle light dinner. Makes the kids feel special and we don't have to wait in the monster lines and deal with the "sitter" issue either. It's a great tradition:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was Lansdowne. I was was either 9 or 10.

    ReplyDelete